Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The guys conquer Mt. Pacaya


Here we are waiting for the guide to pick us up at 5:45 AM.




We made it to an overlook where we could see all the molten rock. All three boys rode their own horse. I was questioning my decision not to rent one during our 2,500 ft elevation climb in 1 hour. I think I need to start running in the dunes back at home.
We had an incredible guide. Above our guide is helping Spencer over molten rock. The guide had his wife and two of his nine children help us out. It was an added blessing today to watch this family interact, they loved each other, god and their country. He was so proud of his Mt. Pacaya.



Notice the lava behind the us. It was extremely hot, but incredible to be within 15 feet of a real lava flow. Another amazing aspect of Gods creation. This molten rock is only 4 days old. Dylan and Antanio would put their walking sticks into crevices and they would start on fire. The bottoms of my shoes melted a little.
The way down was a relief for me but harder on the boys. They constantly had to lean back in their saddles. However, Spencer thought it a challenge and would ride with both his hands in the air. The guide got a huge kick out of that.


The boys wanted to take me to the Monoloco for supper. I am not sure if they were trying to give me a hint - Monoloco means crazy monkey.

Walking back from supper Stacy took this picture of one of the volcanoes we can see from Antigua.

A late night swim after we picked up the condo and washed the dishes.



As of right now we are planning on the 2nd DNA test being taken tomorrow. However, we have heard nothing from the orphanage about what time to be in Guatemala City. We contacted our social worker in Portland and she told us that the orphanage would contact us. It makes it very difficult to hire a driver when we do not know when. God is still working on our patience and I we pray we will continue to be transformed more and more into his likeness as we continue on this journey.


Thanks for being apart of our journey.


Ryan

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! We miss you and love you! SOOO fun to ride a horse up to the valcano! Hey...what did you do with the horses when you got off to climb higher??? :) What were your horses names? Why didn't Ryan get a horse? Wasn't it hard to keep up with the horses?

Anonymous said...

You lucky dogs! I'm glad I missed the ride to Lake Atitlan but I would have liked to hike the volcano with you! What fun! I can't wait to show Bryce those pictures, he'll love them. I think your right to bring your dad to the Monoloco!! Love you all so much. Kiss Anaya for me okay!!

Trish said...

Hello,
Lucy gave me your blog site and I added it to my list of visited sites...hope you don't mind:)

Your journey is amazing and I am so glad that you finally have that little one in your arms! Isn't it great to be able to pick her up whenever you want too!!!

God has blessed you with an amazing family! I hope you keep up this blog when you get home!

Susie said...

His likeness is already being seen in you. Tomorrow will be a great day of success with DNA! His timing does not make sense when you are going through it, but I know in time it will be revealed to you. "All of you Lord, none of me" is my biggest saying. Blessings to all of you, loved the Volcano clime photos. Susie

bushfamily said...

What an amazing adventure. Can't wait to hear the boys perspective on this whole journey! In so many ways, you already reflect the God we serve. Prayers going up for you!

Gary and Charity said...

What a memorable day you could have with your boys! We are praying that you ALL can come home soon.